Difference: SpaceCommitteeMinutes012514 (1 vs. 5)

Revision 5
18 Feb 2014 - Main.ClifCox
Line: 1 to 1
 
META TOPICPARENT name="EmsMinutes"
Changed:
<
<

EMS
New Space Commitee
Meeting Minutes
Meeting date: 01/25/2014

>
>

EMS
New Space Committee
Meeting Minutes
Meeting date: 01/25/2014

 

Revision 4
28 Jan 2014 - Main.ClifCox
Line: 1 to 1
 
META TOPICPARENT
<-- -->
Sorted ascending
name="EmsMinutes"

EMS
New Space Commitee
Meeting Minutes
Meeting date: 01/25/2014

Line: 33 to 33
 

Buzzwords and phrases we can use:
  • Medium is the message
Changed:
<
<
  • New media -- New Mediums
>
>
  • New Media -- New Mediums
 
    • New media means literacy in new mediums
    • eg maker spaces.
  • Embodiment
  • Empowerment
  • Digital Literacy Empowers!
Changed:
<
<
  • Digital materialization
>
>
  • Digital Materialization
 
  • Cognitive liberty!
  • Thrive-Ability
    • The next step after sustainability
Revision 3
26 Jan 2014 - Main.ClifCox
Line: 1 to 1
 
META TOPICPARENT name="EmsMinutes"

EMS
New Space Commitee
Meeting Minutes
Meeting date: 01/25/2014

Line: 87 to 87
 

Clif
  • Clean up notes. Done.
Changed:
<
<
  • Create a suggested brake down on how to divide up the grant app
>
>
  • Create a suggested brake down on how to divide up the grant app Done.
 
  • Contact other potential grant supporters (references) and get them to sign on.
  • Contact one speaker I know of and ask him to give a talk on materialization.
adjournment at threeish...
Revision 2
26 Jan 2014 - Main.ClifCox
Line: 1 to 1
 
META TOPICPARENT name="EmsMinutes"

EMS
New Space Commitee
Meeting Minutes
Meeting date: 01/25/2014

Line: 12 to 12
 
  1. Darrell Perko
Other contributors: Jher

Agenda:

Changed:
<
<
  • Discuss recent events
  • b
  • c
  • d
  • Old adjenda.
  • Discuss the latest LOI (letter of intent) for the 584 Wilson space (Clif)
  • Discuss our website and changes we need/want to make:
    • Why is our site "just a blog"? (Bob)
    • What should our 72pt font call to action be? (Bob)
    • What can we put on our About EMS page, such as a mission statement etc..
    • Should we have a base page that puts a face on us that is fairly static? (Greg)
    • Show off individual projects or community outreach by splitting these into separate sub pages? (Greg)
  • Answer the questions:
    • "Why should I sponsor/contribute to EMS?" (Sam)
    • "What do we do, what do we have, who do we work with, what do we want, and what are our plans for the future?
  • Discuss the School Factory fund raising Workshop (Mark)
    • Talk about main ideas that members took away from watching it
    • Go through Darrell's notes
>
>
  • Discuss recent events.
  • Meet with Jher.
 

Discuss recent events

Changed:
<
<
One idea was to have more membership meetings, and fewer board meetings

Meet with Jair,

>
>
One idea was to have more membership meetings, and fewer board meetings.This might get more members involved.

Meet with Jher,

 
Changed:
<
<
New media should also included digitialzation and maker spaces. Weston took a class on new media and talked abut user engagemnte. buzword "Embodyment" All media interfaces dearl with the material word. The digital almost requires materialization. "Weston says from NPR "everyone must lear how to code" out reach project Teach! "Medim is the message" Doug rushcoff "Program or be programed" science library 3D printer.media and democracy. Democray as infrastructure. Ben asked aoubt sustainability, UofO? is big on sustanability. we want to walk into a labratory!
>
>
Talked with Jher from the UofO about how best to pitch our application for the Wayne Morse Center grant.
 
Changed:
<
<
and James, we used as many cures worsd as we could so you would have felt right at home. wink
>
>
In the grant application information, they focus a lot on New Media. Jher wants us to know that new media specifically includes material digitalization and maker spaces. Weston took a class on new media and talked about user engagement. All media interfaces deal with the material world. This is the crux of what maker spaces are about. The the digital world requires materialization to even exist. Weston says recently NPR had a piece on our world becoming more and more digital, "everyone must learn how to code" or else... EMS should should be a clearing house of info and tools to help people cope, do outreach, Teach!
 
Changed:
<
<
The phiscall emboddied asthestic we need our vie to be as an orchastra or composers or and conductors.Talking about rebranding and maybe changing the logo.Mentioned that the leaders of the Makerspace movent are becoming co-opet by big biz. how do we feel bouthat?
>
>
UofO Science library has a 3D printer now which shows this is the direction media is going. Media is intertwined with Democracy. Democracy is supported by digital infrastructure.
 
Changed:
<
<
what is the difference between us and a garage?
>
>
Ben asked about sustainability, UofO is big on sustainability. EMS supports sustainability at several levels:
  1. We recycle old stuff and hack it to make new.
  2. We do outreach to the community to help it make use of new tool sets in sustainable ways.
  3. We want to be an ongoing resource in our community (IE. Sustainable)
(and James, we used as many curse words (not written down, sorry) as we could so you would have felt right at home) wink

Buzzwords and phrases we can use:
  • Medium is the message
  • New media -- New Mediums
    • New media means literacy in new mediums
    • eg maker spaces.
  • Embodiment
  • Empowerment
  • Digital Literacy Empowers!
  • Digital materialization
  • Cognitive liberty!
  • Thrive-Ability
    • The next step after sustainability
  • Inter-cultural Competency.
Books:
  • Douglas Rushkoff:
    • Program-or-be-Programmed
    • Ten Commands for a Digital Age.
  • Marshall McLuhan
    • Understanding Media:
    • The Extensions of Man
      • "The Medium is the Message"
      • Its never been more true than now that the medium is the mass age wink
Talking about first impressions and how we present ourselves We rather walk into a laboratory than a garage. So how can we be seen as not a garage? We want a nice clean backdrop with a minimum of clutter. The physical embodies the aesthetic, we need to be viewed as an orchestra of tools and composers busily working on artful compositions, or conductors orchestrating a masterpiece.

Talking about re-branding and maybe changing the logo. Mentioned that the leaders of the Maker space movement are becoming co-opted by big business is this good or bad, and how do we feel about that?

Ben left at 14:02 for family stuff.

Possible References for our Grant app:
  • Jher
  • Brewster_Kahle
  • John Gilmore
  • Paul Bloch
  • Dean... (EMS member from uofO)
Cognitive liberty goes hand in hand with open source. If your cognitive extensions are proprietary then it limits your cognitive freedom.

Digital literacy teaches consumers to become pro-sumers by teaching them how to code and how to materialize.

Give people media literacy to be empowered to overcome technological unknowns.

Bringing physicality back to the digital.
 
Changed:
<
<
Ben left at 1402 to family stuff
>
>
EMS needs a 3D scanner!
 
Changed:
<
<
Bruster Kahae Paul Bloch, Dean..., Jair, Cognitive liberty.goes hand in hand with open source. If your cognitive extensions are propriety then it limits our congnitive freedom.
>
>
How we are part of a much larger maker community? If we can answer this we can get much more bang for our advertising buck so to speak.
 
Changed:
<
<
digital litercy prosumers teaching how to code and how to materialize .
>
>
Here is a feel good video that Jher feels frames our conversation: http://vimeo.com/78788086
 
Changed:
<
<
give peile media leteray to be empowered to overcome techniclelogical unknowns.

its never been more ture than now that the medium is the message

bringing physicallity back to the digital.

need a 3D scanner.

litericy oversome fears.

new meda as medim not so much the content (mashal Mcclumum)

thriveability new buzword. nextstep of sustainability.

intercoutural compentcy.

How we are part of a much larger maker communitee?

Jher (Jeremy Swartz)

Discuss LOI

We went over the LOI, and some further talk on Wilson. Compared it to others like the second Tyinn place. No really viable other spaces are known (if we want a large percentage of office space) at this point. Still some trepidation about the high cost. We set an action item to sign the LOI ASAP.

Discuss Marks video he pointed us at:

Also talked about some of the changes that we might make to our site.

Topics:
  • Foundation founding
  • Corporate funding
    • What is a reasonable amount to ask for?
    • Have a list of things to ask for sorted from big to small, if they say no to the first few items
    • A lot of spaces have a friends category to direct a newsletter to. and who you could hit up for semi annual support.
      • This is a great idea!
  • The School factory has some resources to help with the funding search.
  • Weston's takeaways:
    • When applying for grants it's very unlikely that anyone will fund either rent or staff.
    • Workarounds are having a pie chart for an attractive project that includes some portion for rent and staff.
    • Why should we donate to you? because we compliment your organization and mission.
    • Kickstarters are only viable for major projects
    • indiegogo has looser requirements so you might get away with raising money for rent / staff there.
Talked about being honest in what we want even though you might be able to finagle money through other projects. We could ask for money to host classes for free from a sponsor. Then we can have guaranteed income for rent and ramp of our classes at the same time.

Ben had some ideas about a strategy for securing donations. A lot of companies will have mission statements that talk about outreach. we should target the intersection between our two groups. We check your box if you check ours! wink This was reinforced by the video Mark referred us to.

Tim: Find out what they want, then offer it to them.

Sam: Come up with a short list of potential funders

Weston: We don't have staff, but it would be much easier if we were big enough to have paid staff.

Clif: We are small and have working board and whatever volunteer time we can get.

Sam: Code Chops got 25 volunteers just dieing to help! and they put them to work. SO have a prepared list of volunteer jobs ready to go.

Tom Conlin showed up at 13:50

Website and changes we could make

Marie was looking at Maker Has, and got some ideas there:
  • Reorganize to make it look nicer.
  • Links to press
  • Have a FAQ
  • More concise info
  • Better info about what we offer, who we are...
  • Classes
  • Press releases
  • Video
  • Mission statement (at the top)
  • Mailing list links
  • News letter list.
Weston: how could we more compartmentalize the content and index it? (From Greg's email suggestion)

Ben: Wordpress can be organized as either posts and pages. Ours is set up as posts / blog.

Some would like the proposed newsletter on the WP site, others might like it delivered to them via email, which currently implies it also is copied to the forum.

One of Bob's takeaways from his meeting is Have something in 72 point type!

Encourage all to sign our guest book. Implicitly sign up all guest book entries to the newsletter! (evil grin) wink

Discussion about our pitches for sponsors

What are we (would we be) doing wrong (If we were doing anything). wink what do we expect to give back to them for their support?

Ben: my wife's on the board for Sore Monday Putting together elevator pitches to get your foot in the door is a great exercise for sponsors.

Tim thinks you should know exactly who you are and what you want. James disagrees he wants more feedback from them to feel out what we can get.

Possible mission statement snippet: Trying to restore innovation, lab science, and teaching - skills...

Include a few testimonials.

Timing

Are we liable for 60 days rent after we give our notice? Yes. Though Clif thinks that the overlap will most likely be about 30 days by the time we actually move in to the new space. So how can we time it for minimal overlap?
>
>
Some others: http://opensourceecology.org/videos.php
 

Summary:

Changed:
<
<
We had a great turnout, and lots of good discussion. We now have a few more action items to work on. There was also a new web site committee formed to work on a face lift.
>
>
Great meeting! Wished more people could have shown up for it.
 

Acton items:

Changed:
<
<
  • Get our PR media kit done James, Marie, Sam, Rick , Weston, also the website face lift IIRC.
  • Board email action to sent off LOI
  • Bring back the awesome teeshirt lady.
Done! adjournment at 2:47PM
>
>

Clif
  • Clean up notes. Done.
  • Create a suggested brake down on how to divide up the grant app
  • Contact other potential grant supporters (references) and get them to sign on.
  • Contact one speaker I know of and ask him to give a talk on materialization.
adjournment at threeish...
 

-- ClifCox - 13 Jan 2014
 
This site is powered by FoswikiCopyright © by the contributing authors. All material on this collaboration platform is the property of the contributing authors.
Ideas, requests, problems regarding Eugene Maker Space Wiki? Send feedback