Difference: SpaceCommitteeMinutes011814 (r4 vs. r3)

EMS
New Space Commitee
Meeting Minutes
Meeting date: 01/18/2014

This meeting was a specially scheduled Committee meeting, only because we didn't have the time set at least 30 days in advance. It started about 1:01pm

Members in attendance:

  1. Weston Turner
  2. Rick Osgood
  3. James Hukill
  4. Sam Foster
  5. Marie Slatton-Valle
  6. Bob Miller
  7. Clif Cox
  8. Ben Hallert
  9. Mark Danburg-Wild
  10. Tim Heilman
  11. Ellery Weber
  12. Don Easton
  13. Tom Conlin (late)

Agenda:

  • Discuss the latest LOI (letter of intent) for the 584 Wilson space (Clif)
  • Discuss our website and changes we need/want to make:
    • Why is our site "just a blog"? (Bob)
    • What should our 72pt font call to action be? (Bob)
    • What can we put on our About EMS page, such as a mission statement etc..
    • Should we have a base page that puts a face on us that is fairly static? (Greg)
    • Show off individual projects or community outreach by splitting these into separate sub pages? (Greg)
  • Answer the questions:
    • "Why should I sponsor/contribute to EMS?" (Sam)
    • "What do we do, what do we have, who do we work with, what do we want, and what are our plans for the future?
  • Discuss the School Factory fund raising Workshop (Mark)
    • Talk about main ideas that members took away from watching it
    • Go through Darrell's notes

LOI Discuss LOI

We went over the LOI. LOI, and some further talk on Wilson, compared Wilson. Compared it to others like the second Tyinn. Tyinn place. No really viable other spaces. spaces are known (if we want a large percentage of office space) at this point. Still some trepidation about the high cost. Next we should We set an action item to sign it the LOI ASAP.

Discuss Marks video he pointed us at at: and talk about some of the changes that we might make to our site.

Also talked about some of the changes that we might make to our site.

Topics:

  • Foundation founding
  • Corporate funding
    • What is a reasonable amount to ask for?
    • Have a list of things to ask for sorted from big to small, if they say no to the first few items
    • A lot of spaces have a friends category to direct a newsletter to. and who you could hit them up for semi annual support.. support.
      • This is a great idea!
  • The School factory has some resources to help with the funding search search.
  • Westons Weston's takeaways:
    • When applying for grants no one it's very unlikely that anyone will fund either rent or staff staff.
    • Workarounds are having a pie chart for a an attractive project that includes some portion for rent and staff.
    • Why should we donate? donate to you? because we compliment your org organization and mission.
    • Kickstarters are only viable for major projects
    • Indi indiegogo gogo has looser requirements so you might get away with raising money for rent / staff etc.. there.

Talked about being honest in what we want even though you might be able to finagle money through other projects. We could ask for money to host a classes for free from a sponsor. Then we can have guaranteed income for rent and ramp of our cases. classes at the same time.

Strategy Ben had some ideas about a strategy for securing donations (Ben) donations. A lot of companies will have mission statements that talk about outreach. we should target the intersection between our two groups. We check your box if you check ours! wink This was reinforced by the video Mark referred us to.

a lot of companies will have mission statements that talk about Tim: Find out what they want, then offer it to them. outreach. we should target the intersection between our two groups. We check your box if you check ours! wink

This was reinforced by the video. Sam: Come up with a short list of potential funders

Tim: find out what they want, Weston: We don't have staff, but then offer it would be much easier if we were big enough to them. have paid staff.

Sam, come up with a short list of potential funders Clif: We are small and have working board and whatever volunteer time we can get.

Weston: we don't have staff, but it would Sam: Code Chops got 25 volunteers just dieing be much easier if we were big enough to help! and they put them to work. SO have paid staff. a prepared list of volunteer jobs ready to go.

We are small and have working Tom Conlin showed up at 13:50 board and whatever volunteer time we can get.

Sam says there was a group that got 25 volunteers just dieing to help! and they put them to work. SO have a prepared list of volunteer activity.

Tom C showed up at 13:50

Website and changes we could make

Marie was looking at Maker Hos. reorganize to make it look Has, and got some ideas there: nicer. links to press, have a FAQ. concise info . better info about what we offer, who we are. classes. press releases, video, mission statement. mailing list links. news letter list.

Weston: how could we more compartmentalize the content and index.

  • Reorganize to make it look nicer.
  • Links to press
  • Have a FAQ
  • More concise info
  • Better info about what we offer, who we are...
  • Classes
  • Press releases
  • Video
  • Mission statement (at the top)
  • Mailing list links
  • News letter list.

Ben: wordpress organized as posts Weston: how could we more compartmentalize the content and pages. our is set up as index it? (From Greg's email suggestion) posts / blog. news letter also on forum.

Have something in 72 point type! Ben: Wordpress can be organized as either posts and pages. Ours is set up as posts / blog.

Encourage all Some would like the proposed newsletter on the WP site, others might like it delivered to sign our guest book. Implicitly sing up all guest book them via email, which currently implies it also is copied entries to the news forum. letter

One of Bob's takeaways from his meeting is Have something in 72 point type!

Encourage all to sign our guest book. Implicitly sign up all guest book entries to the newsletter! (evil grin) wink

Discussion about our pitches for sponsors

what What are we (would we be) doing wrong. what wrong (If do we expect to give were doing anything). back. wink what do we expect to give back to them for their support?

Ben Ben: my wife's on the board for sore Monday? putting Sore Monday Putting together elevator pitches to get your foot in the door. door is a great exercise for sponsors.

Tim thinks you should know exactly who you are and what you want. James disagrees he wants more feedback from them to feel out what we can get.

Possible mission statement snippet: Trying to restore innovation innovation, lab science, and teaching - skills. skills...

have Include a few testimonials.

Timing

Are we liable for 60 days? yes. days rent after we give our notice? Yes. Though Clif thinks that the overlap will most likely be about 30 days by the time we actually move in to the new space. So how can we time it for minimal over overlap? lap.

Summary Summary: (old):

We had a great turnout, Weston said and lots that when he saw the Wilson space he liked it but it gave him great apprehensive about the financial liability. So a lot of the agenda in his mind good discussion. We now have a few more action items to work on. There was also a new web site committee formed to work on more ways to a face lift. ramp up our revenue (an ongoing theme), get the stakeholders involved go over the proposed revenues (worst case scenario), and then talk seriously about grants and sponsorships.

Acton items items: (old):

  • Get our PR media kit done James Maie, James, Marie, Sam, Rick , Weston Weston, also the website face lift IIRC.
  • board Board email action to sent off LOI
  • Rick can you find out if we paid first and or last?
  • Bring back the awesome teeshirt lady.

Old items.

  • James is learning from his biz friends what they want to hear. and how to approach them for donations.
  • Weston is working on getting money from his employer also.
  • Others should do the same.
  • Should one of us send out a prompt for the committee to beat the bushes for sponsorship?
  • Come up with a nice bullet list that we can all share when approaching new donors.

Done! adjournment at 2:47PM

-- ClifCox - 13 Jan 2014

View topic | View difference side by side | History: r5 < r4 < r3 < r2 | More topic actions
 
This site is powered by FoswikiCopyright © by the contributing authors. All material on this collaboration platform is the property of the contributing authors.
Ideas, requests, problems regarding Eugene Maker Space Wiki? Send feedback