Eugene Makers Space Policy Document
Board of Directors
The board of directors shall meet on the first non us holiday Wednesday of the month. Any rescheduling of these meetings can be done at least 30 days in advance.
Board Member Qualifications
Candidates for the Board of Directors must have been members in good standing with the GD during the election month, and except for the first BOD, must have also been a member in good standing for the two preceding months, or any three months in the five preceding months, or any five months in the preceding eleven months before the election month.
Each board member must be present at regular board meetings. Failure to provide a reasonable explanation for more than one absence in a year will qualify as a breach of the GD and may result in the removal from the BOD as described elsewhere in the GD.
Submitting issues to the general membership for a vote
The BOD may from time to time submit issues to the general membership for a vote at one of their regularly scheduled or other meetings. Five (5) days notice must be given in one of the common EMS communications channels, such as email or the website. If there is a quarum of the membership class(es) voting then a simple majority of the general members in attendance shall decide the issue(s). If 5 days notice can not be given then the issue(s) can be decided by a majority of the total number of voting members at an official membership meeting.
To qualify as a potential EMS member you must:
- Be 18 years of age or over or have your parent or guardian sign up with you.
- Sign the Organization’s Waiver of Liability.
To qualify for a family discount your family must:
- Have one full dues paying EMS member in good standing.
- Have at least one child EMS member under the age of 18 to sign up.
- Monthly dues for basic membership in EMS shall be set at $25, to be paid at the beginning of each month that membership is to be recognized.
- If you have been approved for a family discount, one adult member of your family shall owe $25 to be paid at the beginning of each month that membership is to be recognized. The other members of your family shall owe $12.50 to be paid at the beginning of each month that membership is to be recognized.
A member in good standing is eligible for a key after a vetting period of two months if the member is nominated by three other key holding members and the board of directors votes favorably at a board meeting. The board of directors may also waive all or part of the vetting period. The vetting period begins once the member first becomes a member in good standing.
The General membership shall meet directly following the last board meeting of each quarter. At least two board members must attend regular membership meetings, except for the annual election meeting.
Petition to vote on an issue
The general membership may circulate a petition to put issues up for a vote at a membership meeting. The petition must be signed by at least one third of members in good standing. There must be at least ten days notice before the given meeting of the issues to be voted on. A valid notice shall be communicated through one of the EMS common communication channels. Such as but not limited to: Members email list, postal mail, main website, etc...
Guests may accompany members in areas designated for EMS membership, however, guests may not access or operate EMS-owned equipment designated for membership use unless said equipment has been loaned to a partnering organization that the guest is member of.
The annual election of the EMS Board of Directors shell be on the last Thursday of February, and 30 days notice of the time, place, and complete list of all items to be voted on shall be sent to the general membership via common communication channels such as postal mail to the last known address of each member in good standing, email, or webpage.
- All expenses of $50 or over must be approved by the BOD.
- All monetary expenditures provisioned by EMS's treasury will require signatures from at least two officers of the board for approval.
Code of Conduct
- Active participation in EMS functions is encouraged. Presentations, lectures, announcements, projects, screenings, or other events are open to relevant discussion. Persistent or tangent interruptions, distractions, and unwelcome discharge of office supplies and equipment is highly discouraged.
- In order to establish a welcoming social atmosphere, no member shall derogate, harass or otherwise troll another member during EMS functions, although civil debating over technical issues or the merit of works of science fiction are welcomed.
- Be excellent to each other, dudes.