EMS
Board of Directors
Meeting Minutes
Meeting date: 11/01/2017

Call to order:

A Regular meeting of the Board of directors of EMS, was held at 687 McKinley street, Suite #1, Eugene OR on Nov 1st, 2017. The meeting convened at 6:08PM, Tom Upchurch presiding and Jher secretary.

Board Members in attendance: Tom, Jher, and Clif
Board Members not in attendance: none

Quorum present? Yes

Also Present Were: Joe Tyndall

Approve agenda, and previous minutes.

Agenda:
  1. Approve the agenda
  2. Review previous meeting minutes
  3. Officer’s reports
  4. Exhaust from Metalworking and Dust Collection
  5. Inventory of Electronics
  6. A Plan for Construction
  7. Donation Policy & Loan Policy
  8. Continuing Brainstorm finances
  9. Continuing Discussion on Formalizing Advisory Roles and Related Issues
  10. Continuing Discussion of Workplace messaging / cloud-based team collaboration
  11. Follow-up Electronic Documents
  12. Calendar

Next meeting: November 15, 2017

Approval of Agenda: Motion was made by Clif and seconded by Tom to approve this meeting's proposed agenda.

The Motion carried with unanimous approval.

Approval of minutes: Motion was made by Clif and seconded by Tom to approve the minutes of the 10/18/17 meeting.

The Motion carried with unanimous approval.

Officer's reports:

President:

Tom touched base Tanda wants to form a committee to draft a donation and loan policy. For example: donation (with no strings attached), get a receipt on taxes, donations with strings attached (no receipt).

Secretary:

A successful presentation of Makerspace concepts at the UO Innovation Summit, and previous Board member Dean Walton gave a tour of the UO Science Library’s DeArmond Makerspace.

Treasurer:

Clif reported on getting a hold of Dean. One member is now beginning to pay with Bitcoin. Followed-up with Erin about listing EMS on the Lane STEM website. Gave Ben problematic RFID for debugging, Ben is in the process of getting information about who has one or not. Continuing to finalize the membership spreadsheet; have members not in good standing sign a new physical membership form/liability waiver and have them on file; collate when was last door access date. Still working on action items, passwords to social media user names and passwords, there are LinkdIn and Flickr accounts that are still unaccounted for. Spreadsheet for member list still need those who have forms, access, or other requirements outstanding. All keymaster users are subscribed. Clif attempted to contact Diane (property manager) about the railing on the area above the office, and whether or not adding in flooring will suffice for the property management concerns., and will do so again.

Exhaust from Metalworking and Dust Collection

Jo noted: put in three benches against the back wall with dust collection system underneath them. Metalworking ventilation, grindstone, and abrasive cutter can be the door. Always keep in mind the “classroom” environment needs to be maintained without exhaust-producing machinery.

Inventory of Electronics

Jo noted: sitting on the shelf, there is no much with value. There will be a new space for organizing electronics.

A Plan for Construction

Jo is working with Dale and others to move and make more horizontal surfaces. Work tool pegboard will continue to exist.

Donation Policy & Loan Policy

Tabled… Action item: Tom has agreed to draft a donation and loan policy.

Continuing Brainstorm finances (short-term and medium-term)

  • A webpage to submit concepts for Classes at EMS is a good idea.
    • School-based approaches (“Makerspace is a classroom.”)
  • Classes we have already fostered include:
    • LANE STEM presents MAKE WAVES AND STEAM ON!
      • Fee structure: 5 days for $50 (scholarships available)
    • Jeffrey
      • Intro to Milling (fee structure: $100-200 / 2-3hr.s for 4-5 days), $12.50/hr.
    • Kids’ Nights
    • Open Houses
    • Open Hack Nights
    • Eugene Public Library Outreach Event
    • Science Factory Outreach Event
  • Future Classes:
    • What is Burning Man?
      • Clif to lead a lecture (agreed to facilitate)
    • Lane County High/Middle School (Bethel) is a possibility
      • Introduction to Programming
    • How to control things with Arduinos
      • previous Fertilab possibility
    • Adult Courses / Night School
      • Simulating Logic Circuits
      • others
    • Basic Programming course and access to open source resources
    • Run a small CNC machines
  • Possible Events and Collaborations
  • Granting organizations
    • NSF: Digital Humanities grants
    • City of Eugene grants
    • Burning Man/Black Rock Foundation
    • Collaboration? open source gasifiers
    • Collaboration? open source ecology
    • Others...

Continuing Discussion of Workplace messaging / cloud-based team collaboration

— Tabled. Discuss with membership other alternatives to current forum approach and other (Slack?)

Follow-up Electronic Documents

See the Treasurer's Report.

Calendar (updates)

Pumpkin Chunkin takes place on November 4th at the Science Factory.

Action Items:

Tom:
  • Tom has agreed to draft a donation and loan policy.
Jher:
Clif:
  • Continuing to finalize the membership spreadsheet; have members not in good standing sign a new physical membership form/liability waiver and have them on file; collate when was last door access date.
  • LinkdIn and Flickr accounts that are still unaccounted for.
  • Contact Ben for the EMS Banner.

Adjournment:

Tom moved for adjournment and was seconded by Clif.

The vote was unanimous and the meeting was adjourned at 8:10PM.

____________________________ ___________________
Secretary Date of approval
Eugene Maker Space

Topic revision: r4 - 14 Nov 2017, ClifCox
 

This site is powered by FoswikiCopyright © by the contributing authors. All material on this collaboration platform is the property of the contributing authors.
Ideas, requests, problems regarding Foswiki? Send feedback