EMS
Board of Directors
Meeting Minutes
Meeting date: 10/15/2015

Call to order:

A Regular meeting of the Board of directors of EMS, was held via Google Hangout on October 15th, 2015. The meeting convened at 6:08 PM, Rick Osgood presiding and Ben Hallert secretary.

Board Members in attendance: Rick, Bob, Ben, Kass, Darrell
Board Members not in attendance: none

Quorum present? Yes / Provisional

Approve agenda, and previous minutes.

Agenda:
  1. Approve agenda
  2. Approve previous minutes
  3. Officer's reports:
  4. Treasurer
  5. Facilities
    Old Business
  6. Kassandra will put together a class and fill out the forms
  7. Rick will film an equipment tutorial for the documentation project
  8. Bob will send a message on behalf of board requesting to attend EugeneSpaceMaker 's next meeting.
  9. Bob will get a copy of the lease for the magic binder.
  10. Ben will do something about the Mal-ware.
    New Business
  11. !KayDee Hallert will speak to the board about marketing and grant proposals as a method for growing the club.
  12. Board elections
  13. General membership meeting
  14. Pumpkin/Apple throw
  15. Discuss the purchase of an inexpensive 3-D printer like Dale's

Approval of Agenda: Motion was made by Bob and seconded by Darrell to approve this meeting's proposed agenda.

The Motion carried with unanimous approval.

Approval of minutes: Motion was made by Bob and seconded by Ben to approve the minutes as amended of the 9/17 meeting. Rich was listed as in attendance in error.

The Motion carried with unanimous approval.

Officer's reports:

Treasurer

We have a treasury. No significant changes upon which to report.

Facilities

Bob has not been to the facilities since the last board meeting.

Rick asked for follow up on the Bradley situation. Bob related that at the next open hack night, he attempted to out wait CJ and finally left at 4AM. The following open-hack night, he came by to collect the rest of his belongings and there have been no further sightings. He badge has been deactivated.

Bob reported that John Burridge has been doing some work to activate the laser cutter.

Old business:

Kassandra will put together a class and fill out the forms

She has been working on putting together the classes. She altered the forms a little during the process and will present what she has for the board. Rick requested that she mail them to the group for review.

ACTION: Kassie will mail the forms to the board for preview in advance of the next physical meeting.

Rick will film an equipment tutorial for the documentation project

No update

Bob will send a message on behalf of board requesting to attend EugeneSpaceMaker 's next meeting.

He did. We were invited, he showed up with Clif. Zach wants to find the right space. Bob suggested there may be merit to investigating working with them. Bob asked Darrell to attend the next ESM meeting. ESM is looking to create a space for hardware prototypes. Darrell described a perception that they are different from us because we're 'just hobbyists' while the ESM group is catering to startups. Darrell suggested we all attend the next meeting.

ACTION: The board will attend the next EugeneSpaceMaker

Bob will get a copy of the lease for the magic binder.

ACTION: Bob will get a copy of the lease for the magic binder.

Ben will do something about the Mal-ware.

ACTION: Ben will work with Clif to get new site

New business:

KayDee Hallert will speak to the board about marketing and grant proposals as a method for growing the club.

She has some ideas about sponsorship and writing in for grants but needs to get some ideas from the board about how we want to grow the club. What are some of the goals?

Darrell suggested that purchase of additional equipment is one important outcome of growing our membership. We have 17 now and Bob stated that at 40 members (assuming $25 each per month) we would have $1,000 a month which would help us break.

KayDee suggested the outline of a general plan:
  1. Market to increase awareness and build membership.
  2. Attaching to other events to increase public profile
  3. Aggressively pursue regular get-togethers to build community.
She discussed business sponsorship of events such as Pumpkin Chunkin'. She spoke to the subject of State and Federal grants that are available and recommended assigning someone to research those.

Bob talked about Clif's efforts to work with EugeneSpaceMakers to see if there are enough congruences to make suggesting a possible partnership or merger worthwhile. Rick speculated that his efforts to schedule a meeting with the Mayor may be related to our goal of securing low-priced space to grow the club into. Darrell described one of the problems with our current space is that a hundred people have wandered in then wandered right out. Our new member acquisition strategy is uneven at best and our retention is primarily inertia-driven. KayDee pointed to #3 as an important part of improving this.

In regards to community-building, Ben suggested and Darrell agreed that there is value to the 'drinking socials' we experimented with earlier in the year. Rick expressed skepticism that it was good for building membership so perhaps we can look for ways to change that around. We also have other methods of reaching out to potential members such as MeetUp that we're not using.

KayDee also described the 'scheduled post' functionality in Facebook that can make it easy to pre-load a recurring social media presence. Rick will pursue content for this as he administers that page.

She asked if we ever follow up with people who fill out membership forms. We sure don't so she suggested a rotating task for follow up.

KayDee suggested some more events so we have something to present to the possible sponsors because it's visible marketing for them. Rick mentioned that Nick from TSF had been approached by Haggens for sponsorship. We don't know what happened with that because we didn't have anything setup for sponsorships. KayDee volunteered to reach out to companies and organizations but she needs to know who. Give her some targets and we'll go. Would we like her to volunteer to be a point of contact for the group for sponsors?

Rick: "YES".

ACTION: Rick will put the Pumpkin Chunking event onto MeetUp

ACTION: Ben will find community calendars and try to set up recurring events

ACTION: Rick will familiarize himself with Facebook post scheduling and request content ideas.

ACTION: Ben will write up summary and try to drive getting specific people assigned to tasks.

ACTION: Rick will write up a list of possible targets for KayDee to approach.

Board elections

Rick reviewed the bylaws, they are to be held the first Saturday of December and 30 days notice is required (meaning by November 5th this year). Rick described the election process and requirements. We discussed how the current requirements affect ESM members from being board members and Rick
suggested we do so via appointment if necessary.

We will finalize it and get the announcement out on November 5th.

ACTION: The board will figure out what (besides the election) needs to be on the ballot.

Pumpkin/Apple throw

6 teams, possibly 7 if LEO shows up.

Rick asked if we wanted to help spring for a bleacher. $300 is the total cost, Nick from Science Factory asked if we would chip in.

MOTION: Bob moves that Rick find out what the current status and cost of bleachers is and offer for EMS to pay for half and pay it. Kassie seconds. The vote was unanimous, the motion passes.

Rick wants to fill out the roster of volunteers. He's looking for people to help with measurement and video. Kassie has friends who do something like this and will reach out to them and report back.

ACTION: Kassie will reach out to her video friends and report back.

Discuss the purchase of an inexpensive 3-D printer like Dale's

Dale bought a $300 3D printer from China and it's been working great. He offered to help us get one of these setup.

Bob reported that the PrintrBot Simple is completely worn out. Kassie discussed the PeachyPrinter as well.

Rick requested we get a working printer in place and remove the existing broken ones.

ACTION: Kassie will research what $300 will get us in 3d printers

Action Items:

Everyone
  • The board will figure out what (besides the election) needs to be on the ballot.
  • The board will attend the next EugeneSpaceMaker meeting

Kassie:
  • Kassie will mail the forms to the board for preview in advance of the
    next physical meeting.

  • Kassie will reach out to her video friends and report back regarding Pumpkin Chunkin' videography

  • Kassie will research what $300 will get us in 3d printers

Rick:
  • Rick will put the Pumpkin Chunking event onto MeetUp
  • Rick will familiarize himself with the post scheduling and request content ideas.
  • Rick will write up a list of possible targets for KayDee to approach.
Bob:
Darrell:
Ben:
  • Ben will work with Clif to get new site
  • Ben will find community calendars and try to set up recurring events
  • Ben will write up summary and try to drive getting specific people assigned to tasks.

Adjournment:

Bob moved for adjournment and was seconded by Darrell.

The vote was unanimous and the meeting was adjourned and de-rezzed at 7:29 PM.

____________________________ ___________________
Secretary Date of approval
Eugene Maker Space

Topic revision: r3 - 18 Dec 2015, ClifCox
 

This site is powered by FoswikiCopyright © by the contributing authors. All material on this collaboration platform is the property of the contributing authors.
Ideas, requests, problems regarding Foswiki? Send feedback