EMS
Board of Directors
Meeting Minutes
Meeting date: 7/2/2015

Call to order:

A Regular meeting of the Board of directors of EMS, was held at 687 McKinley street, Suite #2, Eugene OR on July 2nd, 2015. The meeting convened at 6:05PM, Rick Osgood presiding and Ben Hallert secretary.

Board Members in attendance: Rick, Ben, Kass, Darrell
Board Members not in attendance: Bob

Quorum present? Yes

Also Present Were: CJ, Bradley, Greg, Eric Harvey

Approve agenda, and previous minutes.

Agenda:
  1. Approve the agenda
  2. Review previous meeting minutes
  3. Treasurer Report
  4. Facilities Report - Darrell
  5. Kassandra will e-mail copies of the training documentation guide to the board list
  6. Rick will film an equipment tutorial for the documentation project
  7. Bob will tour the western front
  8. Check in on status of the tooling request for his father
  9. Darrell will transfer the monies for certificate-renewal to Clif
  10. Darrell will work with Rick to move SERT conversation forward
  11. Ben will invite Eric to the next board meeting
  12. Ben will send out an action-item reminder between meetings to see if that helps improve follow-through
  13. Ben will summarize the SERT and Vitamins conversation for Rick and move the conversation to the board mailing list
  14. Visit with Eric re: CNC education (to be prioritized to fit Eric's schedule, may precede agenda)
  15. Amazon Smile next steps
    - Reaching out to membership?
    - Money transfer logic
  16. Vinyl cutters status and next steps
    - Classes?
  17. Projection screen
  18. Google Hangouts

Approval of Agenda: Motion was made by Rick and seconded by Darrell to approve this meeting's proposed agenda as amended.

The Motion carried with unanimous approval.

Approval of minutes: Motion was made by Ben and seconded by Kass to approve the minutes of the 6/18/2015 meeting.

The Motion carried with unanimous approval.

Officer's reports:

Treasury report

Darrell confirmed that the chapter has a treasury, there was no further update since the previous board meeting.

Facilities report

Kassandra discussed a possible upgrade to the shop projector. The current unit can project to a 124" screen with a 3:4 ratio while the new projector can do better and offers 1080p resolution.

Old business:

Kassandra will e-mail copies of the training documentation guide to the board list

This has been completed.

Rick will film an equipment tutorial for the documentation project

No update. This will remain an ongoing action item.

ACTION: Rick will film an equipment tutorial for the documentation project

Bob will tour the western front

In progress

Check in on status of the tooling request for his father

No update. He suggests we just buy what we need as we need it and leave ourselves open to the possibility of getting some neat stuff at some point in the future. The board concurred, no specific action item was generated from this discussion.

Darrell will transfer the monies for certificate-renewal to Clif

This has been completed.

Darrell will work with Rick to move SERT conversation forward

This has been completed, there was further discussion of possible next steps. Rick will take the next move on via email.

ACTION: Rick will reply back to SERT to move the conversation forward, possible tour

Ben will invite Eric to the next board meeting

As Eric Harvey was physically in attendance, this was not only done, it was DONE, in the Don't Tell Mom, The Babysitter's Dead-esque sense of "The dishes are done, man".

Ben will send out an action-item reminder between meetings to see if that helps improve follow-through

Ben did this. There is no data yet to discern whether followthrough improved but he will continue.

Ben will summarize the SERT and Vitamins conversation for Rick and move the conversation to the board mailing list

Done, a fruitful discussion ensued.

New business:

Visit with Eric re: CNC education (to be prioritized to fit Eric's schedule, may precede agenda)

- He offers CNC classes, charges $75 for 4 hour class.
- Maybe bulk buy for EMS students (4 people minimum on bulk buy, 4+ EMS could then attend)
They use Mach3 on their router, the basics are all the same so this would give a solid theory on how to operate the machines in general that could then be applied to our in-house unit.

Kass asked about recording the training to serve as a resource for people not in attendance and as part of our knowledge library going forward and Eric indicated he has no objection to this. She also asked about written materials and Eric suggested that links to online resources would make the most sense because there's so much content.

Eric recommended Hartlauer bits: "It's really nice to have good bits" and suggested we have everyone buy their own bits and maintain basic 'junk bits' for anyone to use. Hartlauer is a good local source with good local rates.

Rick asked "What would I know at the end of the class?" Eric: "Almost everything". CAD model to setting up control system. Workholding, actual parameters of cutting. He'll cover both sides, not just CAD/CAM. While he wouldn't cover general milling steps like 'edgefinder', he'd be at a higher level of generality.

"What materials are suitable for a light milling machine? How do you hold your pieces?" He suggests we get a milling vice (he describes a 2" vice) but it's tricky because you can lose a lot of space.

They're also doing some other classes like Bike Maintence 101 (Clayton) and after that 'intro to welding and metalworking'.

For software, he suggested Fusion360 from AutoDesk (or equivalent). He uses solidworks for most of his modeling which comes with a free plugin (2 axis), but AutoDesk gives more axis for free. He will probably do his toolpath teaching in Fusion and mentioned they might offer shop licenses but it was free for hobbyists.

The class is scheduled for July 25th from 10-2.

In a side discussion about Bob's laser cutter, Eric suggested using LinuxCNC as a high-level brain possibly.

ACTION: We find out about if we can get Fusion 360 for free? - Ben

ACTION: We need to market it to the group. - Rick

Amazon Smile next steps

Darrell will finalize our registration so that money may flow into our accounts. We also talked about getting the word out to the membership.

ACTION: Complete the registration with Amazon, Darrell

ACTION: Followup e-mail with plugs etc (ben)

Vinyl cutters status and next steps

ACTION: I will reach out to the group to show people how to use the Silhouette and market it.

Kassie is researching FlexStart cloud. $100 cloud based cutting solution that might be able to control the vinyl cutters and Laser.

ACTION: Kass will research feasibility of FlexStart then write up a summary for the board list.

ACTION: Kass will reach out to Taper to get a status on the big vinyl cutter.

Projection screen

Kassie briefed the board on building the screen for the movie projection. Would the board be interested in funding the screen if it works?

ACTION: We will bring in screen to demo at next meeting (Ben and Kass)

Google Hangouts

Darrell: Shall we try a Google Hangout for a meeting? The board seemed generally amenable to the idea.

Rick: Expressed concerns about video quality
Rick: Do we have legal requirements to meet physically? Or can an electronic board meeting be held within the bounds of our charter?

ACTION: Ask Clif about physical location (Darrell)
ACTION: Ben will organize a test hangout in email

Action Items:

Kassie:
  • Kass will research feasibility of FlexStart then write up a summary for the board list
  • Kass will reach out to Taper to get a status on the vinyl cutter.
  • We will bring in screen to demo at next meeting (Ben and Kass)
Rick:
  • Rick will film an equipment tutorial for the documentation project
  • Rick will reply back to SERT to move the conversation forward, possible tour
  • We need to market the possible CNC class to the group.
Bob:
  • Wear clothes that exclusively feature giant American flags while continuing trip through Eurasia (with whom we have always been at war).
Darrell:
  • Complete the registration with AmazonSmile
  • Ask Clif about requirements to meet physically as opposed to via Hangout
Ben:
  • We find out about if we can get Fusion 360 for free
  • Followup e-mail about AmazonSmile with plugin data
  • Ben will offer to show people both how to use his Silhouette and why it will make their life better.
  • We will bring in screen to demo at next meeting (Ben and Kass)
  • Ben will organize a test hangout in email

Adjournment:

Ben moved for adjournment and was seconded by Rick.

The vote was unanimous and the meeting was adjourned at 7:40PM.

____________________________ ___________________
Secretary Date of approval
Eugene Maker Space

Topic revision: r2 - 06 Jul 2015, BenH
 

This site is powered by FoswikiCopyright © by the contributing authors. All material on this collaboration platform is the property of the contributing authors.
Ideas, requests, problems regarding Foswiki? Send feedback