EMS
Board of Directors
Meeting Minutes
Meeting date: 06/15/2017

Call to order:

A Regular meeting of the Board of directors of EMS, was held at 687 McKinley street, Suite #1, Eugene OR on June 15th, 2017. The meeting convened at 6:12PM, Clif Cox presiding and Tanda LInde secretary.

Board Members in attendance: Clif, Ben (8:04p depart), Tanda, Dean (7:01 depart), Jher (6:27p arrival)
Board Members not in attendance: none

Quorum present? Yes / Provisional

Also Present Were: Tucker, multitude of arachnids and arthropods, Erin Maloney, Miles Schneider

Approve agenda, and previous minutes.

  1. Approve the agenda
  2. Review previous meeting minutes
  3. Officer’s Reports
    1. President
    2. Treasurer
    3. Secretary
    4. PR Director (Vacant)
    5. Facilities Manager (Vacant)
    6. Volunteer Coordinator
  4. Old Business:
    1. Action Items from previous meetings (SEE PREVIOUS MINUTES FOR DETAILS!!!)
      1. Clif
      2. Tanda
      3. Jher
      4. Ben
      5. Guests:
        1. Tom, Dale,
        2. Jim
    2. Recap Mini Maker Faire
    3. NAO Recap (Tanda)
    4. Eugene Magazine Update?
  5. New Business:
    1. Student Workshops (Clif, Guest?)
    2. Tech Soup (Ben)
    3. Rich Dancer (Ben)

Approval of Agenda: Motion was made by Ben and seconded by Dean to approve this meeting's proposed agenda

The Motion carried with unanimous approval.

Approval of minutes: Motion was made by Clif and seconded by Ben to approve the minutes of the June 1st, 2017 meeting.

The Motion carried with unanimous approval.

Officer's reports:

  1. President
  2. Treasurer
  3. Secretary
  4. PR Director (Vacant)
  5. Facilities Manager (Vacant)
  6. Volunteer Coordinator

Old business:

Action Item Review from 06/01/2017 BoD Meeting

  • Clif: Gave updated report of the itemized list/documentation and said he should have it done sooner than he thought. He also contacted Marcel about the Laser Master. Marcel approved any potential modifications needed to get the machine up and functioning.
  • Tanda: Contacted NAO and signed EMS up. Because of difficulties on their end we were compensated the year membership fee. Also investigated getting consulting for board reorganization. Cost would be prohibitive at $150 an hour with an average of 10-12 hours.
    • ACTION ITEM: Send the board the email from NAO on other resources
  • Jher: Cross posted Jeffries Save The Bees blogpost to the Wordpress and RSS feed.
  • Ben: Forgot to cross-post Save the Bees article to the Facebook group. He is following up with Jim to iron out the details of the Volunteer Coordinator position. He needs a list of items from the donation of items (recently) so he can provide a tax donation letter.
    • ACTION ITEM: cross-post Save the Bees article to the Facebook group
    • ACTION ITEM: will follow-up with Jim in getting details and describing the volunteer coordinator position.
    • ACTION ITEM: Draft a written follow up to the board and the donator once all items are accounted for and to be completed in 2018 for tax donation letter

The items were Tabled until guests were in attendance.

Guest Action Items:
  • Jim to report on the Volunteer Coordinator position
  • Dale and/or Tom will provide a mini-report on progress at next meeting.

Mini Maker Faire Recap

It was well attended even with the horrible weather. Thanks to those who came and helped.

Eugene Magazine update

Has anyone seen a copy yet? No.

New business:

Student Workshops

Miles and Erin from Lane STEM Connected Lane Co. came in to talk about the upcoming STEAM camp. They had a grant approved for $1500. They have purchased 10 little bits kits (module synthesizers). The age group will be Middle School 10-14 y.o. We will host the camp in the shop from 9-1p July 24th to 28th. Cost per child $50. What they need is volunteers to help wrangle and provide instruction assistance.

Ben would like to post the flyer to the website and Facebook. ACTION ITEM: Post flyer to Facebook

Jher will update the RSS feed on the website. ACTION ITEM: Update RSS feed on website

Clif asked if we can get money from the grant for hosting. Answer was that there needs to be a paper trail. We were already mentioned in the initial grant proposal.We get to keep the money raised in the cost per child.

Dean said it was possible for him to do a class on air gliders. Ben commented that there could be a lazer cutter project and basics on designing fidget spinners.

Kits showed up in a box Tuesday. does anyone know what they are for or who brought them? ACTION ITEM: Tanda will ask the discuss list.

(ADDITION FROM 06/29/17 Meeting: Erin and Miles were invited back the next meeting and Clif hoped that Crystal would also be able to attend.)

Dean left at 7:01p

Motion by Clif and seconded by Ben to move the first business meeting in July (6th) to the last Thursday in June (29th) to accommodate schedules. Unanimous approval.

Tech Soup

Due to some recent issues with some of our infrastructure some of us have been looking into alternate ways to do what need to run major components of the EMS internal information structures (email, discuss list, archives, webistes, etc). Ben has found the site TechSoup. He needed the IRS documentation to complete the registration process. He sent an email out to the board on 06/05/17. Brief description is that it is a non profit resource with big companies as donors. They give free and low cost software licenses and offer hardware at extremely discounted prices to non profits. Cost involved to EMS? none so far.

<off topic> Clif addressed Rick Osgood's past comments about having too many outside messages (comment made I think in reference to the Slack software, also from prior discussion?)

<off topic> Jher commented that if we are posting information it should post across all the different forms (email list, facebook, website, etc) at the same time with the same post.

<off topic> Ben explains that Slack could potentially be a useful tool in place of the discussion list/forum and can adapt well to other outside interfaces. Then he reminds us that we are not talking about Slack but about TechSoup which is basically a clearing house for donators of "tech" to give to non profits.

<off topic> Discussion then went to the discussion list verses the forum. And Jher showing how to access the discussion archive to get the same information as the forum.

Clif would like an official decision from the board before Ben moves forward with signing us up.

Jher would like Ben to make a presentation at the next meeting about the benefits of joining TechSoup so that Dean can give input on the idea also.

Ben explains that this is his time and effort and he has followed the process as outlined in recent emails. He has sent the idea to the board and didn't hear any feed back. We have been told that if a member wants to take on a project they are to present it to the group and if there is no comments then the member has the ok to move forward with the project (from the fix-it cafe threads). All he needs is for the group to make a decision. If not then he withdraws the recommendation and will not spend any more of his limited time on the project.

There was some further discussion from Jher/Ben/Clif on the corporate software in conflict with our open source tenants of the Maker Space and how it might be an "entanglement" if there are EULA and TOS contracts and that Dean should be in on the discussion.

Ben feels like he is being countered by Clif and asks to remove the topic from discussion.

Discussion then shifts to difference between TechCoup and Slack and gets off topic.

Ben again asks to withdraw the topic from discussion and then leaves at 8:04p

Because Ben left at 8:04p we no longer had a quorum. All further items were tabled and we adjourned.

Rick Dancer

Tabled

Action Items:

Clif:
  • Continue to work on Donation list
Ben:
  • Cross-post Save the Bees article to the Facebook group
  • He will follow-up with Jim in getting details and describing the volunteer coordinator position.
  • Draft a written follow up to the board and the donator once all items are accounted for and to be completed in 2018 for tax donation letter
  • Post the STEAM camp flyer to the Facebook page
Tanda:
  • Send the board the email from NAO on other resources
  • To Post to the Discussion forum asking about the box of kits
Jher:
  • Update RSS feed on website to include the STEAM camp information
Dean:

Adjournment:

To hold true to the minutes (even though we did not have quorum).

Clif moved for adjournment and was seconded by Tanda.

The vote was unanimous and the meeting was adjourned at 8:06 PM.

____________________________ ___________________
Secretary Date of approval
Eugene Maker Space

Topic revision: r3 - 06 Jul 2017, AdnatEdnil
 

This site is powered by FoswikiCopyright © by the contributing authors. All material on this collaboration platform is the property of the contributing authors.
Ideas, requests, problems regarding Foswiki? Send feedback