EMS
Board of Directors
Meeting Minutes
Meeting date: 5/21/2015

Call to order:

A Regular meeting of the Board of directors of EMS, was held at 687 McKinley street, Suite #2, Eugene OR on May 21, 2015. The meeting convened at 6:03 PM, chaos presiding and Ben Hallert secretary.

Board Members in attendance: Bob, Ben, Kass, Darrell
Board Members not in attendance: Rick

Quorum present? Yes / Provisional

Also Present Were: Clif, CJ, and Taper

Approve agenda, and previous minutes.

Agenda:
  1. Approve the agenda
  2. Review previous meeting minutes
  3. Treasurer Report
  4. Facilities Report
  5. Kassie was to make prototypes of some organization improvements she has in mind
  6. Rick was to film an equipment tutorial on the Monday following the last meeting and then "go from there".
  7. Bob planned to provide a list of needed CNC mill tooling to Darrell who was going to inquire with his father if he might be able to assist in this regard.
  8. Bob was to organize people to attend and reach out to the group to find out if anyone else wanted to make their own booths.
  9. Darrell planed to bring an awning to the site
  10. Ben was to make a replacement open hack night sign
  11. Clif planned to email discuss to seek volunteers for the OCF booth
  12. Bob - The EMS maker faire punch card. Get your card punched at all the affiliated booths, enter the drawing for a Raspberry Pi with all the trimmings.
  13. Bob - Eric Harvey suggested teaching a class on the CNC mill at EMS.
  14. Bob - Can we please get an update on the status of the new web server?
Approval of Agenda: Motion was made by Bob and seconded by Darrell to approve this meeting's proposed agenda.

The Motion carried with unanimous approval.

Approval of minutes: Motion was made by Bob and seconded by Darrell to approve the minutes of the 5/7/2015 meeting.

The Motion carried with unanimous approval.

Treasurer Report

Darrell reports that we have two more members! Quantity 20. The letter requesting the backdated IRS status has been sent to the IRS. He included the articles of incorporation and requested it be backdated until then. Clif shared his concerns about the School Factory situation and we discussed the What Should Have Beens regarding how we used it and what we thought we were getting. In regards to our bank account status, Darrell did not have an exact accounting but suspects we have slightly less money than last month.

Ben spilled his soda.

Facilities Report

Functional:
  • Big Mill
  • Vacuum Former
  • Table Saw
  • Chop Saw
  • Scroll Saw
  • Most screwdrivers

Progress:
  • Ben made us a new waterproof Open Hack Night sign. Thanks, Ben!
  • RFID Tags: received and two have been used. Thanks, Kassie!
  • Band saw is broken. Cord has learned about the squawk sheet.
  • CNC Mill: Eric Harvey offered to teach a class.
  • Laser Cutter: has wiring, needs dedicated Ethernet and software work. Bob is wasting time on his Maker Faire stuff.
  • The electronics station has new spools of hookup wire in six colors.
No Progress:
  • Kassie's dead car
  • Vinyl Cutter
Plan Needed:
  • Donations box
  • Better space utilization (Ben and Kassie seem to be working on it)
Unknown: Bob had questions for Kassie regarding the 1/2" blade for the bandsaw. There was a discussion about how this size is determined.

Clif implied interest in fixing the Printrbot but when asked directly if he was volunteering to do so backpedaled furiously.

Old business

Kassie was to make prototypes of some organization improvements she has in mind

She has not made any progress because of the car situation. Her and I went to a cheap wood place. I described how it looks and mentioned the furniture/cabinet selections they had. Clif mentioned a shop on Hawkins that promotes themselves as an alternative to BRING. After some discussion, we determined he was describing the Habitat for Humanity store. Kassandra described some of the cheap building materials there as well.

Clif wanted to retrieve shooting gallery. Taper and Ben will coordinate with him to retrieve it to the shop on Saturday, 5/23 for next steps (possibly dismantlement).

Rick was to film an equipment tutorial on the Monday following the last meeting and then "go from there".

No report, Rick was not here.

Bob planned to provide a list of needed CNC mill tooling to Darrell who was going to inquire with his father if he might be able to assist in this regard.

Bob provided the list. Darrell's dad went on a shooting trip and will be consulted upon his return.

ACTION: Darrell will consult with his dad regarding the CNC tooling list and report back.

Bob was to organize people to attend and reach out to the group to find out if anyone else wanted to make their own booths.

CJ is getting his own booth. Wayne will demo his RepRap Mendel at the EMS booth.

Darrell planned to bring an awning to the site

He took it from Eugene to Marcola which the board generally agreed was a unique navigational strategy. He will consider bringing it to the shop before the 13th. Kass brought weights for securing the awnings.

Ben was to make a replacement open hack night sign

He totally did, and in the unbiased opinion of the secretary, the new sign is truly magnificent.

Clif planned to email discuss to seek volunteers for the OCF booth

No progress.

ACTION: Clif will email discuss to seek volunteers for the OCF booth

New Business

Bob - The EMS maker faire punch card. Get your card punched at all the affiliated booths, enter the drawing for a Raspberry Pi with all the trimmings.

Tasks:
  • identify the affiliated booths.
  • design and print up a sign about the contest
  • design and print up the cards
  • get the prize from Clif
  • get some punches. Or maybe stamps or maybe pens so the boothholders
  • just initial the cards.
  • hold the drawing
  • what else?

We discussed the idea at length and Bob described the dialog as generally "apathetic". After several minutes of discussion, a small spark of enthusiasm about the idea appeared and Bob jumped to action and made some suggestions on next steps. Kassandra got in on the action and suggested we make the punch cards look interesting, specifically that they be 'gear shaped' reminiscent of the EMS logo.

During the conversation, we also discussed the possibility of offering EMS refrigerator magnets. Ben volunteered to run some tests with his die cutter and will produce some examples before the next meeting.

ACTION: Bob will figure out the card punching
- Ben volunteers to cut the card out w/ Silhouette

ACTION: Ben will make some test magnets on his Silhouette for Maker Faire

Bob - Eric Harvey suggested teaching a class on the CNC mill at EMS.

Kass described a plan to determine how the cost of the class would work with defined kill dates, commit dates, etc. Darrell countered with a suggestion that we allow Eric to manage all elements of the training. Kass noted that the space has value and there are a number of issues to consider especially if non members are attending.

We discussed this in further detail, touching on past dialogs the board has had in 2013/2014 as well as how this decision would affect future training revenue opportunities. Bob suggested EventBrite for scheudling classes.

ACTION: Bob will invite Eric to a board meeting to discuss training.
ACTION: Ben will recover the training documents Kassandra submitted from the physical folder.
ACTION: Kassandra will seek out electronic copies of the training documents Kassandra created for the Maker Space.
ACTION: Ben and Kass will work with Clif to secure wiki access for Kassandra so she can post the training documentation

Update on status of web server

No update

Action Items:

Kassie:
  • Kassandra will seek out electronic copies of the training documents Kassandra created for the Maker Space
  • Ben and Kass will work with Clif to secure wiki access for Kassandra so she can post the training documentation
Rick:
  • Will attend the next board meeting
Bob:
  • Bob will figure out the card punching
  • Bob will invite Eric to a board meeting to discuss training
Darrell:
  • Darrell will consult with his dad regarding the CNC tooling list and report back
Ben:
  • Ben will make some test magnets on his Silhouette for Maker Faire
  • Ben will recover the training documents Kassandra submitted from the physical folder
  • Ben and Kass will work with Clif to secure wiki access for Kassandra so she can post the training documentation
Clif:
  • Clif will email discuss to seek volunteers for the OCF booth

Adjournment:

Bob moved for adjournment and was seconded by Kassandra.

The vote was unanimous and the meeting was adjourned at 7:34PM.

____________________________ ___________________
Secretary Date of approval
Eugene Maker Space

Topic revision: r2 - 19 Jun 2015, BenH
 

This site is powered by FoswikiCopyright © by the contributing authors. All material on this collaboration platform is the property of the contributing authors.
Ideas, requests, problems regarding Foswiki? Send feedback