EMS
Board of Directors
Meeting Minutes
Meeting date: 5/7/2015

Call to order:

A Regular meeting of the Board of directors of EMS, was held at 687 McKinley street, Suite #2, Eugene OR on May 7, 2015. The meeting convened at 5:58PM, Rick Osgood presiding and Ben Hallert secretary.

Board Members in attendance: Rick, Bob, Ben, Kass, Darrell
Quorum present? Yes

Also Present Were: CJ, Clif

Approve agenda, and previous minutes.

Agenda:
  1. Approve the agenda
  2. Review previous meeting minutes
  3. Treasurer report
  4. Facilities report
  5. Kassie was to order new RFIDs
  6. Rick was to ask Clif for a new VM
  7. Ben was to implement the voted change to the official key holder policy
  8. Bob inquires whether the board should start tracking the Tool User video series activity as he is not seeing progress
  9. Bob - Move to approve spending up to $500 on tooling for the CNC mill. He expects to spend about $400. Could be more if we're forced to buy a commercial CAM processor.
  10. Rick - We should talk about Eugene Mini Makerfaire since that's coming up in just a few weeks (June 13)
Approval of Agenda: Motion was made by Rick and seconded by Darrell to approve this meeting's proposed agenda

The Motion carried with unanimous approval.

Approval of minutes: Motion was made by Rick and seconded by Bob to approve the minutes of the 4/2/2015 meeting.

The Motion carried with unanimous approval.

Treasurer report

Darrell has not added up anything for this meeting but believes our membership numbers are the same. He thinks he has seen a new name in email but has not received a membership form. Bob speculates it was Michael and further noted that the unreliability of Meetup.com RSVPs seemed to suggest it's more like "NOT Meetup.com". The rest of the board acknowledged both the joke and his observation.

Darrell has not written to IRS yet regarding extending our non-profit status backwards to before our application but confirmed that we are currently 501c3 as of March.

Facilities report

Functional:
  • Big mill
  • Vacuum former
Progress:
  • CNC mill: several samples have been carved. Jeffrey Garman helped get LinuxCNC configured and tuned. Now we need a supported way to generate G-Code. There are several proprietary solutions available.
    (During the CAM software discussion, Kass suggested a package called EMC2 which Bob noted is now called LinuxCNC)
  • It may be time to order the tooling (for the CNC router).
  • (wood) Lathe: donated, thanks Michelle and Kassie, not yet set up.
  • Benjamin the Pegboard Pixie paid us a visit.
  • Lockpick set acquired, thanks Darrell!
No progress:
  • Laser cutter
  • Open Hack Night sign (Ben and Kassie volunteered)
Plan Needed:
  • Donations box
  • Better space utilization
Unknown:
  • PrintrBot
  • Thing-O-Matic
  • Vinyl Cutter
  • Tool Videos
ACTION: Ben will make replacement open hack night sign
ACTION: Kassie will be making prototypes of some organization improvements she has in mind.

Old business:

(Action Item Review from 4/2/2015 BoD Meeting)

Kassie was to order new RFIDs

She ordered two types: Blue tags and white cards. The tags are at her home and will be here shortly. The white cards are mostly for screwing around with and are on-site.

Rick was to ask Clif for a new VM

He made a VM. Rick says Cord is expressed an interest in helping out. We discussed the apt-get versus wordpress native update. Clif intends to keep all EMS stuff together meaning that if we move to the new VM, he will want to move the mailing lists and so on over too. Ben will set up a new copy of Wordpress on the existing system when he can. Clif expounded on the merits of the GRsec hardened kernel.

Ben was to implement the voted change to the official key holder policy

It has been done, the wiki has been updated.

Bob inquires whether the board should start tracking the Tool User Video series activity as he is not seeing progress

Rick has not made any progress on this yet. He described the program to Clif upon request. Ben suggested expanding scope to include instructional videos made by other people. There was general agreement, or at least there wasn't outright conflict over the idea. Essentially, there are some tools that may have pre-existing 'how-to' videos that can fill in the gap if members are uninterested in creating them.

Rick suggested creating some page to collect videos members find that are useful and will start 'doing something'.

ACTION: Rick will film on Monday and then go from there.

New business:

Bob - Move to approve spending up to $500 on tooling for the CNC mill. He expects to spend about $400. Could be more if we're forced to buy a commercial CAM processor.

MOTION: Bob moves to spend up $500 on tooling for the CNC mill. There was not no second and a vote was not performed.

Clif believes a working toolchain exists to make everything work. He will contact Tom to get details on this and report back.

ACTION: Clif will check with Tom

Darrell mentioned that his father may have some parts that could be available to assist with equipping-up the CNC mill. He will mail the updated current list of needed tools to his Dad for review for possible matches.

ACTION: Bob will provide a list of needed tooling to Darrell

Rick - We should talk about Eugene Mini Makerfaire since that's coming up in just a few weeks (June 13)

Bob suggests hitting up the membership for volunteers to man the booth. Six people would be needed if we do 2 hours shifts.

ACTION: Darrell will bring an awning to the site

ACTION: Bob will organize people to attend and will reach out to the group to find out if anyone else wants to make their own booths.

If EMS plans to man some counterspace at the Oregon Country Fair, Clif needs to commit to fair personnel by 7/1/2015.

ACTION: Clif will email discuss to seek volunteers.

Action Items:

Kassie:
  • Kassie will be making prototypes of some organization improvements she has in mind
Rick:
  • Rick will film on Monday and then go from there
Bob:
  • Bob will provide a list of needed tooling to Darrell
  • Bob will organize people to attend and will reach out to the group to find out if anyone else wants to make their own booths.
Darrell:
  • Darrell will bring an awning to the site
Ben:
  • Ben will make replacement open hack night sign
Guest Action Item:

Clif:
  • Clif will email discuss to seek volunteers for the OCF booth

Adjournment:

Rick moved for adjournment and was seconded by Ben.

The vote was unanimous and the meeting was adjourned at 6:55 PM.

____________________________ ___________________
Secretary Date of approval
Eugene Maker Space

Topic revision: r2 - 22 May 2015, BenH
 

This site is powered by FoswikiCopyright © by the contributing authors. All material on this collaboration platform is the property of the contributing authors.
Ideas, requests, problems regarding Foswiki? Send feedback