EMS
Board of Directors
Meeting Minutes
Meeting date: 4/7/2016

Call to order:

A Regular meeting of the Board of directors of EMS, was held at https://plus.google.com/hangouts/_/g4fqvksfrwxoodrj3gkn22ei64a. The meeting convened at 6:12PM, Clif Cox presiding and Ben Hallert secretary.

Board Members in attendance: Clif, Kass, Ben

Board Members not in attendance: Darrell

Quorum present? Yes

Also Present Were: The NSA

Approve agenda, and previous minutes.

Agenda:
  1. Approve the agenda
  2. Approve previous meeting minutes
  3. President's report
  4. Secretary report
  5. Treasurer's report
    Old Business
  6. Clif and Kass to report on effort to get vinyl cutter working with Inkscape
  7. Clif to report back on progress of LCC meetings
  8. Clif was to wordsmith proposed verbiage for an amendment related to teleconference rules
  9. Darrell will reach out to Taper as part of the continuing treasurer transition effort
  10. Darrell to follow up on final disposition of lease from last meeting
  11. Ben to work with Kass on 'Nobody leaves empty handed' concept
    New Business
  12. Open House
  13. Laser Cutter
Approval of Agenda: Motion was made by Clif and seconded by Kass to approve this meeting's proposed agenda as amended

The Motion carried with unanimous approval.

Approval of minutes: Motion was made by Clif and seconded by Kass to approve the minutes of the 3/18/2016 meeting.

The Motion carried with unanimous approval.

Officer's reports:

President's report

Clif's been trying to keep tabs on the LCC downtown center. He did a walkthrough with others. While he's not certain it's an ideal space for a shop, it has much potential. He's been invited to be on the Core Group that keeps tabs on the progress. Shula of FertiLab and Joe McCarshack of RAIN are on there along with some representatives from the city and LCC. He's also joined the Mini-Maker Faire committee along with Mark and someone from The Science Factory. The space has not officially applied for a table but Clif feels we should.

Clif will speak on behalf of EMS in Portland at the What Is Media conference. He'll speak on a panel discussion about Maker Spaces. Saturday the 16th.

Dale is working on the large 3D printer in the front office.

Clif would like to explore the option of sharing equipment between shops like the Art Barn & Glass Shop. He also asked if we should look to retire or otherwise move off some equipment to make space for new stuff.

ACTION: Clif will keep Kass and Ben in the loop about the What Is Media conference, we may try to carpool up.

Secretary's report

NOTHING

Treasurer's report

Darrell was unable to attend the meeting, no update was provided.

Old business:

Clif and Kass to report on effort to get vinyl cutter working with Inkscape

Clif has finished building a new computer to run the printer and other tools. He will finalize OS configuration and integrate tools like Inkscape and Fusion 360.

ACTION: Kass and Clif will continue to work towards bringing the vinyl cutter online w/ Inkscape

Clif to report back on progress of LCC meetings

Clif became aware that Joshua Purvis posted a proposal for RAIN & Fertilab to take the space without any mention of the Maker Space. It may have been a communication mixup, he was later able to make contact with the group.

Clif was to wordsmith proposed verbiage for an amendment related to teleconference rules

Clif will take this on as an ongoing basis and we will remove it from the action list.

Darrell will reach out to Taper as part of the continuing treasurer transition effort

From email: "I've done jack about transferring the treasurership (is that right?) to someone else. I haven't asked Taper if he is still interested. Kassie did express a willingness. I told her that I might also be willing to continue if it was understood that for the foreseeable future that I would basically be doing little or nothing else EMS related.

I'm still willing to consider continuing, or to give it up to Kassie or Taper. Discuss."

Darrell to follow up on final disposition of lease from last meeting

From email: "My understanding is that Bob got the lease back to Bennet. I paid the new rate this month. Bob didn't ask, but assumes they will still not transfer the lease into EMS's name."

Ben to work with Kass on 'Nobody leaves empty handed' concept

No update, but Ben noted that we should get this together before the open house.

ACTION: Get substantive results on the 'Nobody leaves empty handed' project before the Open House

New business:

Open House

Clif suggested getting some kind of quick award-etching station together to tie into the Mother's Day theme. He also suggested we buy some kits and suggested we set a $100-150 budget on kits and assume $50-60 for Pizza. We discussed some idea for the coin-cell light up projects, possible even with laser cut or 3d printed parts.

MOTION: Clif motions that we allocate a $200 budget for the Spring 2016 Show & Tell Open House. Ben Seconds, the vote was unanimous.

The motion passes

ACTION: Clif will reach out to the community to request someone art a flyer for the event.

ACTION: Kass will take charge of the trophy station effort

ACTION: Clif will purchase electronic kits for the event.

Laser Cutter

The laser was in a working environment when they took it out of the space but haven't been able to put it back together and get it running. The condition of the parts and equipment is unknown. The person in charge of it thinks it was working before the move, so while it's possible that it's can be made to work quickly, the actual amount of work is unknown. Clif also noted that the hardware would support other tools like routers as well. It would be a challenge to make space to work on it at the EMS because of the size, but Clif notes that we might be able to put it by the roll-up door and work on it there. Ben noted that he was planning on moving the vacuum former to the deadspace between the Bridgeport and the breakerbox. This will help clear more space and may make this effort feasible.

An UltiMaker and almost working other 3D printer were donated as well as an EggBot. The EggBot is missing a small servo for lifting the pen. It's currently set up to be an engraver. We discussed the possibility of leaving it like that, Clif noted it was quite loud in this configuration.

Clif will try to get the aluminum 3D printer working first.

ACTION: Ben and Kass will make room for the Laser Cutterator.

Action Items:

Kassie:
  • Clif and Kass will work on getting the vinyl cutter working with Inkscape
  • Kass will take charge of the trophy station effort
Clif:
  • Clif will report back on progress of LCC meetings
  • Clif will keep Kass and Ben in the loop about the What Is Media conference, we may try to carpool up.
  • Clif and Kass will work on getting the vinyl cutter working with Inkscape
  • Clif will reach out to the community to request someone art a flyer for the event.
  • Clif will purchase electronic kits for the event.
Darrell:
  • Darrell will reach out to Taper as part of the continuing treasurer transition effort
Ben:
  • Working with Kass on nobody leaves empty handed concept
  • Work on vinyl decorations for the shop space

Adjournment:

Clif moved for adjournment and was seconded by Ben.

The vote was unanimous and the meeting was adjourned a 7:30PM.

____________________________ ___________________
Secretary Date of approval
Eugene Maker Space

Topic revision: r2 - 08 Apr 2016, BenH
 

This site is powered by FoswikiCopyright © by the contributing authors. All material on this collaboration platform is the property of the contributing authors.
Ideas, requests, problems regarding Foswiki? Send feedback